Cherry Pie in New York, June 15, 2023. Use any sort of cherry—recent or frozen, bitter or candy—in Melissa Clark’s Adaptable Cherry Pie. The meals was designed by Simon Andrews. (David Malloch/The New York Occasions)
Apple pie might fall, however cherry pie is the queen of summer season, trumping all different flavors throughout the brief few weeks when recent cherries are in season. As a result of whereas cherry pies made with frozen fruit are completely scrumptious, nothing beats seasonal cherry morsels, baked till syrupy and wrapped in a buttery crust.
The one query is bitter or candy cherries? Every has its virtues. Candy cherries are complicated and sweetly spicy, and have a crunch that retains its form even after baking. Bitter cherries are softer and extra aromatic, and have a tendency to break down into one thing between compote and brilliant jam. You can also make this recipe with any sort of cherry, with a number of small modifications.
To spice up the acidity of the candy cherries, I stir grated zest and lemon juice into the fruit. The lime works too, including floral notes together with its chunk. You may skip this step with the tart cherries which can be born agile.
Bitter cherries want extra sugar than candy cherries, however the actual quantity is dependent upon how tart they’re. One tasting. In the event you stare laborious and uncontrollably, use the entire cup of sugar. Three-quarters of a cup will in all probability do for a sort of fluttering eyelid tang.
You even have choices for tapioca thickener. Use much less for a slice of pie whose juices run throughout your plate, maybe mixing in some vanilla ice cream alongside. Utilizing the total quantity of tapioca will provide you with a neater pie to chop and serve with a wobbly, jelly-like filling.
I used to prep the underside crust of all my fruit pies, simply to verify they stayed good and crisp. These days I discover that utilizing a metallic pie pan (for good warmth conduction) set on a scorching baking sheet within the decrease third of the oven works virtually as effectively and gives a full step. However, should you’re utilizing glass or ceramic pans, which do not conduct warmth as effectively, contemplate pre-baking, or just baking the entire pie just a little longer. (Glassware permits you to see the colour of the crust, so simply go away it within the oven till it is properly bronzed.)
The cherry will nonetheless be utterly vibrant, as a result of within the subsequent few weeks, it should have a head begin.
On this traditional and adaptable cherry pie recipe, you should utilize bitter or candy cherries, recent or frozen. Mix lemon zest and juice with candy cherries so as to add luster and shine. However you’ll be able to skip this step with tart cherries, which have their very own pure acidity. Serve this pie heat or at room temperature, ideally inside 24 hours of baking for a fluffy crust. Ice cream or whipped cream is non-obligatory, however very good with the syrupy filling.
Written by Melissa Clark
Yield: 8 servings
Complete time: About 2 hours, plus at the very least 3 hours of cooling and cooling
To arrange the pie dough:
2 1/2 cups/320 grams all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 teaspoon high quality sea salt
1 cup/226 grams chilly unsalted butter, lower into 1/2-inch cubes
3 to 7 tablespoons ice water, plus extra as wanted
1/2 to 1 cup / 100 to 200 grams granulated sugar
2 to three tablespoons of on the spot tapioca
1/4 teaspoon floor cinnamon or cardamom
2 kilos (about 6 cups) pitted tart or candy cherries (or 20 ounces frozen pitted cherries)
1 lemon (non-obligatory)
3 tablespoons of heavy cream
Demerara sugar, for sprinkling
1. Make the crust: In a big mixing bowl or the bowl of a meals processor, sift or combine collectively the flour and salt. Add butter.
2. If utilizing a bowl, stir together with your arms in order that the butter items are effectively coated with the flour. Lower the butter into the flour by squeezing the items between your fingertips, flattening the cubes into massive flakes and persevering with to toss them within the flour to repaint the flakes. In case you are utilizing a meals processor, combine the butter into the flour till the items are in regards to the measurement of a lima seed.
3. Combine or mix 3 tablespoons of the ice water and stir within the flour within the bowl if working by hand. Proceed including the ice water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, whisking briefly or stirring effectively, till the dough begins to come back collectively. Press the dough collectively if working by hand.
4. Kind the dough into two disks about 1 inch thick. Wrap every tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at the very least 1 hour and as much as 2 days earlier than utilizing. (It can be frozen for as much as 3 months, then thawed in a single day within the fridge.)
5. Preheat the oven to 425 levels. Place the baking tray on the underside rack.
6. Make the filling: Within the bowl of a meals processor (you do not have to clean it should you’re utilizing it for dough), combine the sugar (use 1/2 cup for candy cherries and as much as 1 cup for bitter cherries), tapioca (use extra for thicker, stiffer filling, much less for a lightweight and juicy filling) and cinnamon or cardamom. Run the motor till the tapioca is finely floor.
7. Place the cherries in a big bowl, and add the sugar and tapioca combination. My coronary heart gently to combine. If utilizing candy cherries, lemon zest into bowl, squeeze juice and stir effectively. (Bitter cherries do not have to be overly acidic, so skip this should you’re utilizing them.)
8. Utilizing a rolling pin, roll out 1 disk of dough on a calmly floured floor and right into a 12-inch spherical, 3/8 inch thick. Place the dough in a 9-inch pie plate, ideally metallic, for a crispy crust. Roll remaining dough for high crust into an 11-inch spherical.
9. Pour the cherry combination into the crust and place the remaining dough on high. Press edges collectively, trim off extra dough, then pinch edges together with your fingers or press down with the tines of a fork. Lower some steam holes within the middle of the pancake.
10. Brush the highest layer with cream and sprinkle generously with demerara sugar. Rigorously place the pie on the recent baking sheet within the oven. Bake till crust is deep golden brown and filling bubbles, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Switch pie to a wire rack to chill at the very least 2 hours, permitting filling to set earlier than serving.