Kale Caesar is so dependable…that it is so boring. Brighten up your salad recreation with this unconventional (largely meat and potatoes, btw) recipe for mashed potatoes and a Chinese language chorizo salad from Sheila Prakash’s new cookbook, Salad Seasons: Vegetable dishes are served all year long.
The potatoes expertly absorb all of the spicy juices from the chorizo as they roast within the oven. Subsequent, they’re dressed with a zingy lime dressing, doused with lettuce and topped with a plate of queso fresco for good measure.
“Queso fresco is a semi-soft, feta-like Mexican cheese with a tangy milky taste and crumbly texture that may be discovered rounds within the cheese part of most grocery shops,” Prakash writes. “If you cannot discover it, it may be substituted with gentle feta cheese.”
Salad Seasons: Vegetable dishes ready all year long By Sheila Prakash © Rizzoli, 2023. Pictures © Kristen Teague.
1½ kilos small purple potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes
1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus extra to style
5 tablespoons of additional virgin olive oil, divided
1 pound recent Mexican chorizo (wrappers eliminated if utilizing ties)
4 medium scallions, white and pale inexperienced reduce into 1-inch items and darkish inexperienced elements thinly sliced and quartered
Freshly floor black pepper
1 medium lemon finely grated
Juice of 1 medium lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
1 small garlic clove, grated or minced
½ medium coronary heart lettuce, thinly sliced
4 ounces crumbled queso fresco (about 1 cup)
1. Place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon of salt in a big saucepan. Cowl with 1 inch of chilly water, then carry to a boil over excessive warmth. Cut back warmth to medium and simmer till potatoes will be simply pierced with a knife, 10 to fifteen minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and rinse with chilly water to chill barely. Put aside within the colander to let the crust drain.
2. In the meantime, prepare on two racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 450°F. Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. As soon as the potatoes are cool sufficient to eat, switch them to a baking tray and shake to coat the potatoes with the oil. Press every potato with the underside of a measuring cup or consuming glass till it splits and flattens to about ½ inch.
4. Separate the chorizo into bite-sized blocks and unfold them within the open areas between the potatoes. Scatter the white and lightweight inexperienced elements of the scallions on high. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some grains of pepper.
5. Roast on the decrease rack till the bottoms of the potatoes are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Set the oven to excessive broil, transfer the baking sheet to the highest rack and roast till golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes extra.
6. In the meantime, whisk collectively lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, a pinch of salt, and several other peppercorns in a small bowl.
7. Scatter the lettuce and thinly sliced darkish inexperienced scallions over the potatoes and chorizo. Drizzle with the French dressing and toss gently on the baking sheet to softly wilt the lettuce and coat every part within the French dressing. Style and season with salt and pepper as wanted. Sprinkle the crumbled queso on high and serve the salad straight from the baking sheet. (Alternatively, switch to a big serving bowl.)