The hamburger has grown far past its humble origins. Immediately you’ll find burgers made with premium beef and premium substances promoting for greater than $20 in eating places. For those who’re craving one thing primary you can also make at residence, do this recipe from the Institute of Culinary Schooling. Consisting of floor beef, onions, cheese, and a steamed bun, this Oklahoma-style burger comes collectively on the stovetop in 10 minutes.
The Oklahoma burger is made by urgent sliced uncooked onions straight right into a beef patty. Whereas the meat cooks and crunches, so do the onions. Along with enhancing the feel and taste of your burger, this additionally saves you the time you’ll spend cooking the onions individually. “Everyone seems to be consuming these fried burgers now,” Roger Citrin, ICE’s grasp leisure chef teacher, informed Psychological Floss. “This can be a burger smash recipe that features onions. They do not must be cooked—raw onions might be added to this recipe.”
To arrange the recipe, begin by heating 1 teaspoon of canola oil over excessive warmth in a cast-iron skillet. A flat, even cooking floor is just not a negotiation. “As a result of it is a smash burger, you do not need to prepare dinner it on a grill,” says Citrin. “It needs to be a pleasant, flat floor that you simply prepare dinner on, and one thing that may get evenly heated.”
After you roll the bottom beef into 4-ounce items, add them to the skillet and press them flat with a spoon. Scatter onion slices on prime and press them into the meat. As soon as two minutes have handed, flip the pancakes and permit them to prepare dinner for a minute or so longer. Onions needs to be delicate, brown, and crunchy in spots. Add a slice of cheddar cheese to every burger and canopy with the highest half of the bun and the underside half balanced over all of it. In accordance with Sitrin, “This enables the bun to get good and steamy whereas the burgers are cooking within the skillet.” End by assembling the burger with the condiments of your alternative.
The Institute of Culinary Schooling serves college students from all over the world from campuses in Los Angeles and New York Metropolis. To study extra about their programs in Culinary Arts, Hospitality and Resort Administration, take a look at their curriculum right here.
Makes 4 burgers
1 teaspoon canola oil (or one other excessive smoke level cooking oil)
1 lb. minced meat
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 slices of cheddar cheese
4 hamburger brioche buns or another delicate bread
Ketchup, mustard, pickles to style
Salt and freshly floor pepper
- Divide floor beef into 4 4-ounce servings. Roll every half right into a ball.
- Warmth a big forged iron skillet over excessive warmth. Unfold the oil on the underside of the pan. Add the meatballs and press down with a spatula till utterly flat. Generously season with salt and pepper.
- Working shortly, unfold the onion evenly over the burger and press all the way down to embed the onion into the meat. Let the burgers prepare dinner, undisturbed, for an additional 2 minutes or so, till the meat is properly browned.
- Rigorously flip the burger, ensuring to scrape up brown bits from the pan. Let it simmer for 1 minute or till the onions are tender. Cowl every burger with a slice of cheese and canopy the highest with bun. Place the underside cake the wrong way up on the highest cake to permit it to steam.
- When the desserts turn out to be delicate, switch them to a plate. Add spices if desired. Elevate the onions, burger and bun collectively and slide them to the underside. Repeat with the remaining burgers. Serve instantly.